Sunday, March 10, 2013

Adipose

I've realized that I'm at a point in my knitting where I can imagine something, and then create it.  I was sitting down one day thinking about how to make an Adipose.  After a bit of thought I was able to work out a pattern.

The Adipose is an alien creature from Doctor Who, featured in the episode "Partners In Crime".  The episode stars the tenth Doctor, David Tennant, and his companion, Donna Noble.  Adipose are adorable hand-sized marshmallow-shaped beings, composed almost entirely of fat. An adipose tissue is a fat cell, so its quite an appropriate name.  








I knew I was going to stuff and sew it, so I had to plan that out first.  I decided to knit one long piece as the body, and then make smaller pieces for the limbs.  I sewed up the sides and the bottom when I sewed on the hands.  That way my seam would not be showing at the top of its head.  










I used a series of I-cords for the fingers and toes, with the thumb started earlier in my rows.  I made the legs a little bit longer and changed the angle of the thumb so it was a big toe.

I added some black yarn embroidered as a face, then stuffed it, and sewed it closed.








I'm very happy with how it turned out.  I wrote down the pattern, so you can expect to see a few more adipose running around.  






No comments:

Post a Comment