Sunday, August 25, 2013

Up and coming skills

When I spend a lot of time on a single project my mind starts to wander.  I will start to think about all the awesome things that I could be knitting.  There are some really cool techniques out there that I haven't tried yet.  So I made up a list of things that I want to learn to do.


This one amazes me.  I remember the first time I saw it in a yarn store.  It blew my mind.  When you look at the item straight on you will only see two coloured stripes, but if you look at it from a different angle a picture appears.  Some people go all out and make really amazing works of art.  Check out Wooly Thoughts for some of the best examples of illusion knitting.





Now, I'm a big fan of colour-work.  It makes everything so much more exciting when you brighten them up a little.  My previous projects have been worked with the Intarsia style, such as the batman wristband or the skullkerchief.  You can do some fantastically intricate knitting with with Fair Isle.  A few of the designers that inspire me are Spillyjane and Tonks.








Amigurumi

Alright, so I know I've talked about learning to crochet before but I am far from an expert.  Amigurumi is a term for crochet toys or stuffed animals.  It amazes me how versatile you can be with a crochet needle.  I have seen beautiful and complex amigurumi.  An amazing nerdy designer is Lucy Ravenscar who crochet a set of star wars toys.  You can find her blog at http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.ca/







No comments:

Post a Comment